Google Docs allows you to insert text boxes and different shapes in your document, but these features aren’t obvious when you look at its interface. That’s probably because Google focuses on a clean and minimalistic interface. To help you out, here’s how to insert text box in Google Docs.
How to Add a Text Box in Google Docs With Drawing Tool?
There are multiple ways to add a text box in Google Docs, and one of them is with a drawing tool. The Google Docs drawing tool allows you to create different shapes in the document, but you can also use it to add a text box. Let’s have a look at all of the methods one by one.
1. How to Insert a Text Box in Google Docs Via Text Box
- Click on the Insert tab from the top bar, and select the Drawing option from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Drawing option, select the +New option.
- A mini screen with a white background will open up, and this is your canvas. To add the text box to your document, click on the Text box.
- Draw the Text Box on the canvas, then type the contents inside.
- Using the different tools on the top bar, you can add background color, set the font’s color & size, and more.
- Once you’re done, click Save & Close, and it’ll show you the text box in the document.
2. How to Add Text Box in Google Docs Via Shapes
You can also add a text box in the Google Docs via shapes. It lets you create different shapes in your document, such as rectangles, squares, callouts, and flowcharts. You can also add color to the background of the shapes to increase the readability or specify the information in the document. Here’s how to make a text box in Google Docs vis Shapes:
- Go to the Insert tab on the top, and hover the cursor over the Drawing option.
- Under the Drawing option, select the +New option, which opens up a drawing window.
- Click on the Shapes option from the top bar, then select the shapes you want to use to enter the text.
- Click on the drawing area and drag the mouse to add the selected shape. Adjust the position of the shape by clicking the mouse’s right button.
- To add text to your created shape, double-click inside the shape and hit the enter button.
- Once you’re done adding text using the shapes, click the Save & Close button on the top right corner of the screen.
- If you need to do any further edits, click on the Edit button, and it’ll open up the drawing windows where you can perform the edits on the shape.
3. How to Put a Text Box Over a Picture in Google Docs?
Here, we’ll use the drawing method as it’s much easier and simpler to put a text box over a picture in Google Docs.
- Click on the Insert tab, and hover over the cursor Drawing to expand it.
- Under the Drawing options, select +New.
- A drawing window will pop up. Click on the Image option and choose the suitable option to import the image in Google Docs.
- Once the image is successfully imported and shown in the Drawing canvas, click on the Text option and draw the text box on the image where you want to put text over a picture.
- You can format the text using the tools at the top bar, like changing the font type, size, color, etc. – once done, click the Save & Close button.
How to Insert Text Box in Google Docs Without Drawing?
Besides the methods mentioned above, there are other ways to insert text boxes in Google. Here are the two more effective methods for “how to add a textbox in google docs without drawing tool”:
1. How to Make a Text Box in Google Docs Via Table
Google Docs allows you to insert tables to your document with a button click. You can use the table feature to add a text box to your document. By creating a single-cell table consisting of one row, and one column, you can easily shape it like a text box. Here’s how to do so:
- Go to the top bar on the Google document, click the Insert tab, select the Table option from the drop-down menu and choose the 1×1 cell.
- A long text box will appear on the document, you can resize its width and length using the mouse and add the text to the box.
2. How to Insert a Fillable Text Box in Google Docs?
You can create a fillable text box similar to the spreadsheet using the table feature in Google Docs. It can be done by creating two-cell tables and a bit of formatting. Here’s how to make a text box in google docs:
- Go to the Insert tab on the top >> Select the Table option and choose 2×1 table.
- Resize the cells according to your requirements by grabbing the border between cells and dropping it.
- To customize the borders of the cells, click on the arrow option, which will show you all the border types you can select for it. This will give a neat look to your fillable text box.
- In order to make the borderline more prominent, you can increase the line thickness. To do so, select the line by clicking on it. Click on the line thickness option and select the line thickness that you want to apply.
- By following step 4, you can change the line thickness around the borders. Below is the reference image of what a fillable text box should look like.
Now with these methods, you can insert text box in google docs with no effort. Whatever cases you have, you can get the solution you need. If you have any questions about how to add text box in Google Docs, you can leave comments below, we will try our best to help you.
You May Also Like
How to Select All in Google Docs?
How to Print Word Doc without Comments?
How to Change Background Color on Google Docs?